Billboard Billboard Billboard Billboard Billboard Billboard Billboard Billboard

     
What are your community needs?
WE WANT YOUR FEEDBACK
News Article
 
CHIP funds announced for Lucas County

Those interested in learning more about Lucas County’s Community Housing Impact and Preservation (CHIP) program are encouraged to attend a kick-off meeting at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 21, at the Home Builders Association of Greater Toledo, 1911 Indian Wood Circle, Maumee. Refreshments will be available.

The county was recently awarded $750,000 in CHIP grant funding to assist Lucas County residents excluding the City of Toledo limits. CHIP funds are available now through October 2017.

Administered by WSOS Community Action Commission, on behalf of the Lucas County Commissioners, the Lucas County CHIP program helps eligible homeowners in owner-occupied homes by providing needed repairs and rehabilitations. CHIP-funded programs offer lower-income homeowners the opportunity to upgrade plumbing or electrical systems, repair or replace roofs, fix or replace furnaces and water heaters, and secure other vital improvements or repairs to their residences.

“CHIP funds are integral in ensuring that county residents in need are able to make repairs and improvements that they otherwise might not be able to afford,” WSOS Housing and Energy Coordinator Tiffaney Shaver said.

The Home Repair Program offers up to $8,000 in home repairs for income eligible Lucas County homeowners whose income does not exceed 80 percent of the county’s median income. For example, a family of four whose income does not exceed $48,300 would be eligible for the Home Repair Program. This grant-funded program requires no repayment from homeowners.

The Home Rehabilitation Program offers up to $35,000 in home rehabilitation activities for Lucas County homeowners whose income does not exceed 80 percent of the county’s median income. A family of four whose income does not exceed $48,300 would qualify for the program. This program requires homeowners to commit to an 80/20 interest-free, deferred loan where 80 percent of the loan is forgiven after five years. The remaining 20 percent stays with the property and only requires repayment if the home is sold or the title is transferred. Otherwise, no payments are required.

“Anyone who thinks they may be eligible for a home repair or rehabilitation is especially encouraged to come, as are local contractors who would like to take on area CHIP projects,” Shaver added.

For more information, visit www.wsos.org and look for Home Rehabilitation programming in the “Programs” section of the site, or call WSOS Community Action Commission at 1-800-775-9767 or 1-419-639-2802.